Powers of Attorney

Who would speak for you if you were not able to manage your own affairs, say due to accident or illness?

The answer is not as straightforward as you might think. Even your husband or wife might need the court’s permission to access even your joint bank accounts, thanks to new, tighter regulations. There is a solution and that is to draw up Lasting Powers of Attorney (‘LPAs’) while you are able to.

With an LPA you can transfer the running of your affairs to a third party, called an ‘Attorney’. Often this is a spouse or close relative, but it could be a professional representative or trusted friend.You can write different Lasting Powers of Attorney to cover Health & Welfare matters and your Property and Financial Affairs.

There are some important issues to consider (not all of which are obvious), but once in place an LPA will save your loved ones a great deal of time, expense and worry when life is complicated enough.

We can guide you through the entire process, including the registration paperwork. There are some useful guides below or get in touch to discuss your situation and how we can help.

  • Hayley Beeching

    Hayley Beeching

    Senior Associate - Head of Wills Probate & Trusts

    T: 023 9244 6912

  • Iain Belcher

    Iain Belcher


    T: 023 9298 1000

  • Andrea Cox

    Andrea Cox

    Director, Head of Private Client

    T: 023 9224 6719

  • Preparing and Registering a Property and Financial Affairs Lasting Powers of Attorney
  • Preparing and Registering a Health and Welfare Lasting Powers of Attorney
  • Help for dependents of people without Lasting Powers of Attorney
  • General (Ordinary) Powers of Attorney
  • Advice re existing Enduring Powers of Attorney and Registration of existing Enduring Powers of Attorney
  • Obtaining mental capacity reports where appropriate
    Providing advice where it is not possible to set up a Lasting Power of Attorney due to lack of capacity
  • Advice re duties and powers of Attorneys
  • Advice re disputes relating to Lasting Powers of Attorney
  • Applications to the Court of Protection including Deputyship applications